, , , , , , ,

So the other day I thought I would try making Pot Roast.  The Recipe seemed easy enough and I found it in a magazine called “Great Food For Busy Cooks” by Southern Living.  It should not be that hard, right?

Well, let’s start with the recipe…

You need…

1 (3-4 lb) boneless chuck roast

1 tsp. vegetable oil

1 (12 oz.) can of beer (I used some winter brew)

1 (0.7 oz) envelope of Italian dressing mix

and you can add roasted vegetables if you would like… baby carrots, new potatoes (halved), and onions tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper).

So you preheat the oven to 300 degrees (this is where I got into a trouble… but I will get to that later).   While the oven is preheating, cook the roast in the 5 quart cast iron Dutch oven over high heat for 6 minutes on each side.

Remove from heat and add the beer and the dressing mix. The cover and place in the oven.  Cook for 3 hours.  If you want to add the roasted vegetables, you will add them at the 2 hour mark.

So that is the recipe, and as you can see it sounded and was supposed to be pretty simple.  Here is where my story begins.  When I stuck the Dutch oven in the oven I tried to set the timer for 2 hours… I learned quickly that the timer on my oven did not go up to 2 hours.  In learning this, I must have turned the oven off.   When my alarm on my phone went off after 2 hours, I realized that the Dutch oven was not that hot to the touch when I placed the veggies in it.  I thought that was weird, but thought that maybe 300 degrees was not that hot.  After thinking it over a little longer I realized that maybe I accidently turned the oven off.  When I explored further, I realized that I my suspician was correct.  So I reheated the oven to 300 degrees and decided to just stick the Dutch oven in while it heated up.

A half hour later, I checked on it’s progress… and the oven was still cold.  It was now 5:00 and the pot roast was no more cooked than it was at 2:30.  Ugh!  The pilot light must be out.

I transferred the veggies and liquid over to another bowl, and added another can of beer and another packet of dressing mix.  I lit the pilot light and then turned on the oven again to 300 degrees.  This time I waited for it to heat up and checked that it felt hot before putting the Dutch oven in.  Dinner was going to be late… like Dinner at 8 pm late.

I decided that I needed to do something else for the kids so I whipped up some Spaghetti’os and ham sandwiches and called it dinner.   At 7 pm, I put the veggies back in to the Dutch oven and took the kids up for their bath…with any luck my husband and I might eat dinner at 8:00 after the kids go to bed.

Luck was on our side and the pot roast was ready right after the kids went to bed.  It was delicious and well worth cooking.  It was a perfect winter dinner.  Next time I make it, I do hope that the oven and I work a bit better together though.

I don’t know if it is a great recipe for “busy cooks” on a weeknight though…since you have to start the cooking process at 2:30 to have it ready for a 6 pm dinner,  but it would make a great weekend dinner and the left overs are fabulous.