Today is Thanksgiving here in the US.
It originally started with the Pilgrims and the Native Americans, but as I got older I realized the sweet story of their feast was just the beginning and well it did not end well for the Native Americans (honestly, I get a little bummed out just thinking about it).
So, we now concentrate on the food, family, and being thankful.
So many people used this opportunity to update their FB statuses with what they are thankful for… but that is a lot to remember to do. I am just not good with anything that requires a daily requirement… so I dedicate this post to what I am thankful for.
- I am thankful for my family. I am lucky to have a wonderful husband and two pretty awesome kids. They fill my day with laughs and help me have enough material for this blog.
- I also have pretty awesome parents, who have supported me through thick and thin. They dealt with many a tantrum and suffered through through raising a rather impulsive and absent-minded child. I also will admit that I was a bit overdramatic sometimes too. At any rate, I realize through raising my own daughter that is way too similar to her mother… that they had a pretty hard job.
- I also have a great brother, that I may not have always appreciated, but that I could not imagine being without now.
- I am also blessed with a pretty awesome extended family. I am so lucky to still have my grandma on my dad’s side and my grandpa on my mom’s side. I don’t get to see them enough, but I am hoping to be better at keeping in touch. I miss the grandparents I have lost… but I am thankful that I had the time with them I did. They may not have known how they influenced me, but I know that I would not be the person I am today without them.
- I have also been blessed with awesome in-laws. This is something to be thankful for!! I never have get to participate in good “bad in-law” story sharing with my less fortunate friends… but it is a problem I will gladly live with. My kids have awesome grandparents and great-grandparents on both sides…which makes them very lucky indeed!
- I am thankful for our good health. My husband and I have been lucky so far, and have not suffered from anything but the common maladies. We were blessed with having relatively healthy kids. I know that is something to give thanks for… since I have known too many friends that have dealt with some really serious illnesses with their children and some of my friends who have lost children.
- I am thankful to be able to provide for our children. Our children have never felt what it is like to go without. They have always had enough food, weather appropriate clothing, and a roof over their head. It is definitely something that I am thankful that we have been able to have for them, and something I know they will not fully appreciate until they are older.
- I am thankful also for my friends. I have awesome friends. Some old friends that have been by our side for years and years…. some new friends that have blessed us in so many ways in the short time that I have know them … and some old friends that I have just recently caught up with, but I am so glad that I did.
- I am thankful for you guys. I am talking about you… the person reading this. You kindly ignore or at least quietly disregard my spelling and grammar errors. You are sweet to share your experiences and your insights. Some of you that read this blog have been my friends forever, but some of you I have not met and I thank you for stopping by. I love sharing my life with you guys and I know that I would not have made a connection with you if it weren’t through the blog. I feel like I will have gotten to know some of you through your blogs and comments and I have really loved getting to know all of you.
- Finally, I am thankful for the word AWESOME! I realize I have overused this word, but I decided that I don’t mind, because it describes everything that I am thankful for so well.
I hope that if you are celebrating Thanksgiving today… that you have a wonderful day full of food, as well as family and/or friends.
If you are in Canada or another part of the world… may you just have a pretty awesome day!!